Wednesday, July 19, 2017

New Heights

3 o'clock wake up call
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. – James 1:2-4

As I jumped out of the boat and started swimming, it became crystal clear just how differently my teenagers and I view risk. As they get older, they’re pursuing higher and higher cliffs to jump off of.  As I get older, I’m more content to watch them from the safety of the boat.

Nonetheless, there I was out of the boat, paddling to face my fear of heights in what has become my annual Lake Powell cliff jump. Listening to their encouragement, mixed with a little taunting, I resigned myself to the fact that this year’s was going to be the highest one yet.  

With my toes on the edge, thirty feet above the water, I couldn’t look down.  After a few minutes, when I was about to let fear win and retreat to the boat, the teens suggested we play Categories. 

In Categories, one person calls out a “category” to the jumper such as a tree, or color, or holiday.  On the way down, the jumper has to shout out something that fits in that category such as willow, red, or Christmas, before they hit the water.  My middle daughter said she a category just perfect for me so, distracted by the challenge of the game, I jumped.

Bible verse,” she yelled.
  
I screamed back “First Thessalonians 5:18 – Give thanks at all times.”  I’m not sure how much of it I actually got out before hitting the water, but it felt like I was in the air a looong time. 

When I rose to the surface, I knew three things for sure: 

1.  Falling from that high up was kind of fun
2.  I didn’t ever want to do it again.
3.  If I did, I’d choose a shorter Bible verse, like John 3:16.

After convincing my kids that I’d sufficiently conquered my fears for this year’s trip, it dawned on me that giving thanks in the midst of a challenge, a test, or a trial is exactly what I needed to be thinking about while facing fear.

When James, Jesus’ half-brother, penned consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds (James 1:2), I imagine that people thought he was crazy.  Why should  we welcome trials and tests?  Wouldn’t it be better to live easy, storm free lives?

But God knew, in James’ time and in ours, that we grow and learn a heck of a lot more through the storms than through smooth sailing.  Wouldn’t you agree?

  • When you make it through a financial disaster with God’s help, don’t your priorities now align more closely with what God says is most important?
  • When you’re in the middle of a health crisis, don’t you pray more frequently and experience God’s presence in tangible ways?
  • When you watch a loved one head down a destructive path, doesn’t your reliance on God skyrocket?

Joy is possible in the storm if our eyes are cast on the One who is with us through it all.  The next time you’re tested, lift your eyes up and thank Jesus that this trial will bring new heights of growth and faith.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!