Monday, July 10, 2017

Dark Clouds

3 o'clock wake up call
Why are you downcast, O my soul?  Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God. My soul is downcast within me, therefore I will remember You. – Psalm 42:5






Sometimes, no matter how upbeat, smiling, and happy-go-lucky we start out, the day takes an turn for the worse.  It might be a mean spirited email, a rejection letter, a doctor’s report, or a phone call conveying an unwanted change in plans. 

When that happens, it feels as if a dark cloud has moved in.  If you’re like me, those clouds tend to linger overhead longer than they should.  

I’ve learned the hard way that no matter how comfortable we attempt to make our lives, disappointment dawns on days we never invited it in.  We’d never schedule disappointment on our calendars, right?  So what does God say to do when that dark cloud lingers or grows into a huge summer storm?

Psalm 42:5 gives us three things to do to fight depression or a downcast spirit God’s way.  Place your HOPE in the Lord by:

  • Remembering – God’s goodness in the past.  How has He restored your soul before today? Reflect on God’s hand at work in your life up until today.
  • Repeating – God’s name.  Who is He to you? Your Savior, redeemer, healer, helper?  Call upon the name of the Lord you need today.

  • Rejoicing – Give God thanks and praise for what is unchanging in the midst of your despair.  God’s character is constant – He’s always loving, compassionate, close to the broken hearted, and the wind and waves still know His powerful name.

Here is a 3 R prayer you can pray today or any day you face a dark cloud above.

Lord God,
I will remember how You always come through for me.  When I am weak, you are strong.  You have lifted my spirit and renewed my soul in the past, so I believe you can help me today.  You are my strong rock in which I stand, my rescuer from all storms, my Savior.  I thank you for your comfort and closeness.  Thank you for loving me and walking with me through the darkness.  Remove my despair and renew a right spirit in me.  I will praise you even in the storms of life.
Amen  



The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!