Thursday, November 29, 2018

Awe & Wonder


The LORD gathers the waters of the sea… let all the people of the world stand in awe of Him. – Psalm 33:7-8

Have you ever sat on the beach and watched the tide come in? Sooner or later you’ll be either moving your seat or getting wet. It’s a sure thing. At high tide, the beach shrinks as the ocean tumbles in, wave after wave.  

Have you ever contemplated how the tides ebb and flow? Or why hotels and homeowners feel confident building a few feet away from the breaking waves? I thought about these things while watching my daughters taking a surf lesson in California after a recent soccer tournament. 

Most of my days are spent in landlocked Colorado, so I seldom think about the ocean.  But here in San Luis Obispo, CA, near the ocean, I feel God’s powerful presence. I stand in awe at the magnitude of His power as he controls the flow of the oceans around our coast as well as around the globe. He sets the boundaries of where the oceans end and the land begins.  

As I’m pondering these things, I can hear Christmas music playing from a nearby beachfront store. I’m snapped back to reality. As soon as I arrive home, I will be full-throttle busy, preparing for Christmas. Company’s coming, so the house needs decorating, the tree needs presents, and the lists just keep growing. How will I ever catch up after being at the beach for a week?

The chatter in my head reminds me that what I truly need to do is TRUST God at all times. My mind rewinds to several years ago when Oceans by HillSong was at the top of the music charts. The chorus comes quietly…

“Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders.  
Let me walk upon the waters 
Wherever you would call me  
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior.”

I love that song and I love what it reminds us to do. What do you need to trust God with these days? How can you trust God without borders? No limits and no backup plan. Answer these three questions honestly. 
  • How can you carve out time to be with Jesus and listen to the Holy Spirit during this busy season of the year?
  • What is one area of your life you know God is calling you to trust Him more in? 
  • What’s the first step you need to take to start walking out into deeper waters of trust? Will you take it today, this week?

I wish we could sit together on the beach and dream of what our ideal Christmas season looks like. I’d love to learn how you balance all the demands of the holidays and still stay focused on the true meaning of Christmas. I’d lean in and listen.

How about doing just that with God in prayer?

Heavenly Father,
Lead me through this Christmas season.
Help me trust you completely. 
Let me walk in the plans you have for me. 
I will go wherever you call.  
Take my faith deeper than I can imagine.
And make me stronger, braver, more confident,
In the presence of my Savior, 
Jesus who’s birth we celebrate this time of year.
In His name I pray, 
Amen.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!