Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Commencement Address of an Uninvited Speaker


She walks in step with God, her path blazed by God, she’s happy. If she stumbles, she’s not down for long; God has a grip on her hand. – Psalm 37:23-24 (MSG)     
(I changed “he” to “she”) 

This weekend my daughter Abby graduates from high school. If I could take the stage at the commencement and speak a blessing over them, I’d say “I hope and pray that you live out Psalm 37. For this is what I want for you: walk in step with God, let Him blaze your path, be happy with Him, and remember when you stumble God’s got you in His powerful hand. He will always lift you up.”

Unfortunately, I don’t think my words would resonate with many of the graduates.  

The world around them is screaming just the opposite… walk independently, not with God. Blaze your own path because only you know what makes you happy. And when you fall, pull yourself up. Don’t ask for help, but trust in your own strength, and take the world by storm. 

This pep talk might be inspirational, but eventually they’ll smack into the reality that, as Khalid the rapper tells them, they’re really just “young, dumb, and broke.” 

But weren’t we there once? Didn’t we think we were smarter than our parents, destined to do amazing things with our lives? Nothing and no one could stop us from living out our dreams. Maybe you’re still like the graduates, full of skyrocketing high hopes. Or perhaps you’re like me, and you wish to dream big again.

Just imagine, if you could step back in time to when you were 18 years-old. What would you tell yourself? Can you count on one hand five key truths you’d cling to?

Me, I’d tell myself to:
  • Give God thanks every day, because each one is a gift from Him.
  • Love God and others on purpose, because love lasts forever.
  • Commit to long lasting friendships. Hold on to the ones who knew when...
  • Trust God every step of the way, in good times and bad. 
  • Follow Jesus, because His plans are even better than your biggest dreams.
I may not be speaking on a stage this weekend, but I will speak these truths to the one 18 year-old dearest to my heart, my daughter Abby. Who can you share your treasured truths with? 



The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World

Thank you for being a part of The 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!