Wednesday, March 21, 2018

2 or 3 Together - Five More Minutes


Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. – Ephesians 5:20

There’s a country music song, Five More Minutes, that seems to come on the radio every time I’m in the car. As the lyrics roll, I nod my head in agreement and smile knowingly. 

Time rolls by the clock don't stop
I wish I had a few more drops
Of the good stuff, the good times
Oh but they just keep on flying
Right on by like it ain't nothing
Wish I had me a pause button
Moments like those Lord knows I'd hit it
And give myself five more minutes

The songwriter describes scenes from his life when he wishes he’d had five more minutes to enjoy … fishing with close friends, kissing his high school sweetheart, playing football on his home field, and talking with his grandpa as he died. 

Don’t you wish you had a “pause button” that could freeze a moment in time? Who would you spend five more minutes with? What time in your life would you like to relive in order to burn that memory forever in your mind?

I’d sit with my grandpa (Papa) and ask him three important questions: How did you became best friends with Jesus? What was it like to fight in WWII? And what have you learned about God that you’d like me to pass down to my children since they’ll never get a chance to meet you? I’d also thank him for his unconditional love and for introducing me to Jesus when I was a little girl.

I’d also rewind time and take more five minute videos of my children. Pictures don’t quite capture their sweet voices, their innocent questions, and the many times they said, “Watch Mom!” as they rode their bike for the first time, dove off the diving board, or waved goodbye on the first day of kindergarten. 

I was too busy in the moment to ask Papa about his faith or record my children’s milestones. Busyness blocked me from thinking with a long term perspective. I was present in the moment, but I didn’t document it to pass down to the next generation.

But what I do have are my daily gratitude journals from when my kids were little. Before cell phones could snap photos, I took “snap shots” by writing down in a small notebook (or any scrap of paper I could find) the date, our location, and what I was thankful for that day. Today I can read them and remember the scenes as if I was still standing right there. 

The memories brought back by even a few sentences written long ago are amazingly powerful.

Do you want to try?

We’ve created a Community Space on our website for you to document your personal thanks to God and your 3:00pm moments. For free, you can create an account and start sharing your daily gratitude to God with others who are also thanking Him at 3:00pm. You can add pictures, thoughts, thanks, and praise. Will you join us?

Gratitude is contagious! As you read what other people are thankful for, thanksgiving will grow in your heart. Let’s encourage one another to give God thanks every day. Let’s make those few moments last beyond today.

2 or 3 Together Questions

Think of one moment in time that you’d like to go back and spend 5 more minutes in.
  • Where were you?
  • Who were you with?

How would you spend those 5 minutes? What would you say, do, ask, or listen for?

Go to the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Call Community Page and create an account. For the next week, post one thing you’re thankful for. At the end, look through your 7 posts and see how it changes your perspective. (It will, I promise)


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!