Wednesday, January 10, 2018

His Right Hand

For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, “Do not fear; I will help you.” – Isaiah 41:13

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

I try not to veer too far from my regular routine. I like predictable days, healthy habits, and low-risk adventure. But when my family vacations, predictability flies out the window and the risk factor ramps up. (Not by my choice…) 

Last winter, ignoring my significant fear of heights, my kids pushed me off a zip-line platform, sending me zooming above the Costa Rican jungle (screaming my head off). This year, not caring about my near-crippling sea sickness, they strapped a scuba tank to my back and pushed me off a diving boat into the Atlantic Ocean. 

Bobbing in the choppy waves under dark skies, I tried to calm my rising fears as I practiced breathing in and out through the regulator. I mentally reviewed the list of “do’s and don’ts” from our half-hour training session in a pool the day before. How I’d passed that class was still a mystery. The instructor must not have seen me resurface and gasp for air in a panic (twice). Maybe I could fake it this time too. 

No chance. Once underwater, my mask leaked. I coughed and panic set in. I quickly strategized an escape route. Seeing my dilemma and sensing my panic, the diving instructor reached over and tightened my mask, then pushed me below the surface, down a rope that led to my waiting family, another fifteen feet below. As they waved me down, I breathed in and out praying to God for help. 

Inhale… Every breath is a gift from God. Exhale… Thank you God. Please help! 

With each breath, I repeated these words. The rope ended at a metal square, where my family had been waiting. I gripped the square tightly with both hands and felt the fear rising up again. 

The lead instructor must have seen my white knuckles, because he swam to my side, gently pried my hands from the metal, and placed them on his forearm. We took off, descending another fifteen feet, then swimming along the ocean floor. With my eyes fixed on his forearm, still focusing on every breath, I missed most of the colorful fish and coral around us. 

I remembered Isaiah 41:13, For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, “Do not fear; I will help you.”  Kicking my fins to keep up, I thanked God for giving me a right hand to hold onto. 

My guide waved his other hand and pointed to something on the ocean floor. For the first time, I let my eyes follow. Unbelievable! A huge cross with Jesus’ body carved out of it sat on the white sand. I reached inside my wetsuit and pulled out my silver cross necklace. When he gave me a double thumbs-up, I realized that I was swimming alone. For the joy of the Lord had displaced my fear. 

The next time you find yourself way out of your comfort zone with fear rising, give thanks to God that you can grip His right hand, receive His help, and let go of fear for good. 


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank you for being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!