Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Elastic Pants

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore, honor God with your bodies. 
– 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Earlier this week, I shared with you how a comment from my doctor got me thinking it was time for a change.  I’m not getting any younger, so I’d better switch up my exercise routine, if I want to stay healthy.  

My big change was to start taking a class at the gym called Body Pump.  So far the only change I’ve experienced is that it’s a lot harder to get out of bed in the morning when muscles I didn’t even know I had hurt so much.  But it’s the only body I have, so I’ll keep working it and asking God for more strength and discipline.

I was leaving the gym after completing my third straight week of Body Pump, feeling pretty good about my commitment level and perseverance.  Praying for more self-control, as I’ve been doing lately, seems to be paying off.  God has spurred me on to prioritize a change and carve out the time to exercise.  I was pretty jazzed up until... I saw a fitness article in the gym lobby that squelched my enthusiasm: How to Avoid Elastic Pants Over the Holiday

No joke. This is true. Rewind to twenty minutes ago: I finished my Thursday Body Pump class, went into the locker room and quickly changed out of my sweaty clothes into my “comfy” ones.  Right then, my 3 O’Clock alarm sounded.  I stopped, looked up to God, and thanked Him for the workout, His presence even at the gym, and for my comfortable clothes that look like running pants but feel like pajamas (and happen to have an elastic waist).  

I giggled to myself on way to the car because it dawned on me that God has a sense of humor.  There I was thanking Him for something that makes me feel good and comfortable, while the world around me tells me to be a different shape and size.  With His well-timed alarm, God reminded me to keep looking to and thanking Him, even when the zipper is tight or the pants don’t fit.

Thanking God in the middle of our days, does indeed ignite our faith and change our world.  Yes, there is power in thanksgiving… especially when you have to walk around the entire parking lot twice because you forgot where you’d parked the car an hour and a half ago.  (My doctor didn’t mention anything about my brain changing as I got older.)  I guess I’ll ask God to increase my mental strength, too, and trust my whole “temple” in His hands. 

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!