Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Time Keeps on Ticking

3 o'clock wake up call
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven. 
– Ecclesiastes 3:1

Luke Bryan’s hit country song, “Fast,” seems to come on the radio almost every time I’m in the car.  I’m not sure whether that means it’s played too often or I’m just in the car too long… probably a little of both. The song tells of how we tend to rush through the present, rarely stopping to appreciate its blessings.  And as we age, the time seems to speed up.  Every time I hear it, I nod my head and think about going back in time to live to re-live some of my days. If I could, I’d have more appreciation.

When we’re teenagers, we can’t wait to grow up and leave home.  Then, we can’t wait to get married and have children.  After that, we look forward to our kids getting older so we can be free to travel and “live life to the fullest.” Why are our eyes always fixed ahead of us?

Last night we celebrated my youngest daughter’s fourteenth birthday. She’ll be heading to high school in the fall.  Her baby, toddler, preschool, elementary, and middle school years are gone.  It feels like yesterday that she was climbing into my lap with a favorite book clenched in her chubby little fingers.  I read to her every day.  Surprisingly, though, it took her a very long time to be able to read on her own.  I worried myself sick thinking she’d never read, that she had some kind of learning disability.  

It turns out I was wrong.  Now, all she wants for her birthday is books and a new book shelf, because her “library” has taken over her bedroom.  Her once chubby fingers are slim and long, just like her legs.  Why did I waste so much time worrying? Where did all the time go?

The same night, we also celebrated my mom’s 70th birthday.  Wasn’t it yesterday that we were arguing about my curfew and car dates? Back then, I couldn’t see that her boundaries were there for my safety, placed because of love.  Instead, I thought she was clueless and uncool.  But now, as I see her loving concern for my children, I better appreciate her steadfast support and love for me.  Where did all the time go?

Why does hindsight provide a clearer vision of yesterday?  Why aren’t we fully present today, appreciating each moment with all its blessings? 

I heard a pastor once share that he had a serious case of, “I’ll be happy when”. 

  • I’ll be happy when I get married.
  • I’ll be happy when we have kids.
  • I’ll be happy when the kids grow up.
  • I’ll be happy when we move.
  • I’ll be happy when…

God doesn’t stay rejoice tomorrow or be happy when… He says, REJOICE TODAY!  (Phil. 4:4) God wants us to be happy now.  He desires for us to enjoy this day, this season, this stage in life.  But how?

Jesus teaches us to “fix our eyes” on Him because He is the author and perfecter of our faith (Heb.12:2).  With our focus on Him, we walk together in this season, and this day, living fully awake and alert instead of frantic, busy, and chaotic.  We can cherish today’s special moment’s more clearly.  With our eyes wide open, we take snapshots of the beauty and goodness all around us instead of quickly passing by without noticing God’s blessings.  

In Jesus’ presence, our faith continues to grow.  When we’re walking by faith, it becomes easier to see God’s hand at work in small, simple ways.  We’ll see God taking care of an overdue bill, teaching a young child to read, hugging a sad grandchild, or answering a prayer no one else knew about.  

When we see Jesus clearly and rejoice in His ways, time does seem to slow down, just enough to enjoy today.  

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!