Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Cancer and Clouds

3 o'clock wake up call
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. – 1Peter 5:7

Raise your hand if you hate cancer! 

Cancer stole my grandparents, Mama and Papa, way too early in my life. Cancer took my dear friend and writing mentor, Alice while we still had time to spend and stacks of stories to go through together.  And now, cancer has its claws in my friend Jane.  It angers me to think that Jane’s grandchildren will grow up feeling the same awful loss I did.  I hate cancer.

Just like the enemy, cancer steals strength and destroys dreams.  It knows no boundaries and usually sneaks up on us when we least expect it.  But God, can even use cancer in and around us to wake up to what’s most important in life.  

Cancer is a reset button for our priorities.  It expedites “Bucket List” activities and increases “thank yous” and “I’m sorrys”. Cancer also teaches us important truths… if we’re willing to slow down and listen to those who have fought the awful battle against it:   

  • My Papa before he died, would have told you that bad things do happen to good people, but God, He is always good.  
  • Alice would have encouraged you to give thanks in all times.  Even in times of pain, sorrow, loss, and disappointment, giving thanks invites God into the center of your life.
  • Jane would convince you today that the peace of God is real, and it really does surpass all understanding.  She exudes peace while dreaming of her new body in heaven.
  • All three would also reassure you that perfect love does in fact defeat fear because they weren’t, and aren’t, afraid to die.  

I spent some time with God today to “cast my cares” on Him.  More accurately, I chucked cancer at Him and told Him it was time for a cure.  As I sat in His presence, I quietly watched the clouds overhead slowly shift direction and change shape.  I got the sense God wanted to do the same thing with my thoughts and emotions.  

Instead of being caught up in despair, I smiled while remembering fun trips I’d taken as a little girl with my grandparents.  Papa was right.  Bad things do happen to good people. Health, wealth, power and position; the things of this world are fleeting, but God is forever good. 

I thanked God for His goodness.  Then I couldn’t stop thanking Him. I thanked Him that my legs could hike, my eyes could see, my arms could swing, my knees could bend, and my hands could pray.  Could watching a friend battle cancer actually give me a more grateful outlook on life?  I think so.

What about you?  

  • Can you be thankful for what you have and can do today instead of allowing despair to steal your joy?  
  • Can you cast all your cares on the One who is more than capable of carrying all your hurt and pain?   

Maybe the people we lose in this life live on through us as we adopt and live out their wisdom and understanding.  When their truths become ours, our hearts still beat together.  


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!