Friday, January 13, 2017

Thank You, God

3 o'clock wake up call
Give thanks at all times. – Ephesians 5:20  

Do you ever hope, dream and pray for something to happen, then when it does, you quickly move on without thinking about it.  In the blink of an eye, you’re on to the next task, thinking about the next idea, or dreaming the next dream.

Our fast paced culture pushes us be forward thinkers, big dreamers, and high goal setters. I’m guilty of grabbing the gifts I’m given without even taking a moment to say, “Thank You, God.”

Every once in a while, God stops us in our tracks to remind us of His important truths…even when we’re on vacation.  

Recently, twenty members of my extended family met in Costa Rica to celebrate the Christmas/ New Year’s holidays. While driving, I stared out the window amazed at the sometimes overwhelming poverty. I would see large families living in tiny dilapidated tin-roofed shacks, stray dogs scrounging for food, and shirtless children playing in the dirt without toys. I wasn’t prepared for these snapshots of poverty. 

One thought kept scrolling through my mind, like a song stuck on repeat: None of us had a choice.  They were born poor in Costa Rica and I was born “rich” in America. 

Then I remembered the Bible passage that states, “To whom much has been given, much will be expected” (Luke 12:48).  But what could I possibly do?  The scenes of poverty kept flashing through my mind as I unpacked in our beautiful vacation “Villa,” leaving my stomach in knots and my head spinning. 

The only prayer I could pray was, “Thank you God.”

Then it hit me.  Before the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Call, I rarely thanked God. As a young child, I didn’t thank God for my safe, warm house in America, my own bedroom full of toys, for clean water, or a refrigerator full of food.  These were just parts of a normal life.  I didn’t recognize them as gifts from God.  But as an adult, God has woken me up to the truth that He is the giver of all good gifts (James 1:17). 

When we give God thanks…
  • He gets the credit for the good in our lives and we appreciate His goodness.
  • He gets the glory and we are humbled.
  • He gets the honor so we can’t become prideful.  

The quick moments we take to thank God multiply into a powerful mind altering habit that keeps us grounded and in our “right place” on this complex planet.  It’s from here, in this place of gratitude, that we can be generous, gracious, and kind to others who have so much less.  

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!