Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Rope of Hope

3 o'clock wake up call
When I am afraid, I will trust in You.
– Psalm 56:3 

My husband signed me up to go zip-lining through the jungles of Costa Rica over Christmas break.  “It will be a super fun adventure with the family,” he said, purposely leaving out the fact that we’d be over fifty feet above ground.  I’m deathly afraid of heights.

When the guide clipped me into the first rope, I felt panic brewing in my belly.  Before I could call it quits, he shoved me off the wooden platform and I was completely out of control.  I couldn’t slow down, jump off, or stop myself so I did what every terrified middle-aged woman would do, I screamed, “OH MY GOD!”

Let’s face it.  We all have fears.  Some people would rather endure physical torture than speak in public.  Some people drive for days because they’re too afraid to board an airplane.  And some people hide in the back of the room, sweating because they might be called on to read aloud or answer a question.  Even if they know the material cold, hearing their name called upon would be terrifying.

What are you afraid of?  When was the last time you had to step out in faith and jump?  

David, who slayed Goliath and later became King of the Israelites, had to flee for his life when the previous king chased him into enemy territory.  David found himself surrounded by men who wanted him dead.  In Psalm 56, David cried out to God and declared that he would trust God not matter what.  

David gives us the steps to take when we must face our fears.

  • Call out to God and remember His presence.
  • Proclaim your trust in the LORD.
  • Praise God for His power to help you and save you. 
  • Thank God for being with you every step of the way.

I accomplished the first step as I screamed out to God while zipping across the jungle.  When fear overwhelmed me, I gripped the rope so tightly that when I came to a stop, my fingers felt numb and my legs wobbled like Jell-O.  I told my family how I felt as I planned my escape.  But when one of my teenagers reminded me of a blog I wrote last summer where I referred to myself as the Jell-O woman, something clicked in my mind.

If I am encouraging others to face their fears and step out in faith to follow Jesus, then I’d better walk the walk, even if the path takes me high up in the middle of a jungle. I looked at the ropes of the challenges I’d be facing shortly.  I whispered this prayer to Jesus, “I place my hope in You, not the ropes. Help me face my fears and guide me through this coarse. I will trust You.”

Not only did Jesus calm my fears, He gave me one of the most exciting days of my life.  I had a blast!  

When my 3pm alarm sounded that day, I was free falling into a mountain pool after zip lining through a beautiful waterfall.  I emerged from the cold pool, looked up at the canopy above, and thanked God for being my rope of hope.  He powerfully replaced my staggering fear with strength and faith.  

Call out to Jesus today.  Give him your fears, place your trust in Him, and thank Him for extending you a rope of hope no matter where you are.  



The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!