Thursday, September 27, 2018

She Said What?


Jesus said, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” – Matthew 7:1-2

Standing in the  checkout line at the grocery store, I picked up a cooking magazine with a large orange smoothie on the cover. Flipping through pages of beautiful, frost covered breakfast smoothies, I wondered why mine looked so lame by comparison. As I reached to put the magazine back, the woman right behind me in line said, seemingly to everyone within earshot, “People like us can’t eat all that sugar!”

What? People like us? 

My mind raced. Did I look fat to her? Well, I must have if I now belonged to the “people who can’t eat all that sugar” club. My first thought was something like “so what, I love ice cream. And fudge. And smoothies. I’m buying this magazine just to show her!

As I reached for it again, I noticed that it cost $11.95. What? Twelve bucks for recipes that I could probably find online for free? I put it back on the rack. I knew that if I took it home, it would just remind me of “what kind of people” I truly am, anyways.  

I wish putting the magazine back and exiting the store washed away the memory of being categorized by a total stranger, but it didn’t. To be honest, I haven’t enjoyed a smoothie ever since and when I check out at that particular grocery store, her words still ring in my ears, “People like us can’t eat all that sugar!”

Have you ever been judged by your size, shape, or color? It’s pretty awful isn’t it?

When Jesus walked this earth, He taught His disciples “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Matthew 7:1-2)

Words to live by, but we still judge others anyways, don’t we? We check Facebook and scroll through pictures of our daughter’s new boyfriend. We ask a whole bunch of “innocent questions” before signing up for a new small group. Or we watch for weeks from a distance before meeting a new neighbor. Why does judging others come so naturally? 

James, Jesus half-brother watched how Jesus used His words to uplift, heal, and teach God’s truths. He wrote in James 3:9-10, “With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.”

This week I challenge you to wake up from judgement and bless others instead. Compliment someone’s outfit and mean it. Encourage a co-worker who’s feeling overwhelmed. Go out of your way to thank a family member who you could easily take for granted. This is the biggest challenge of all - Be creative and boldly bless a complete stranger. 

When you bless others with your kind, uplifting, and encouraging words you are blessing God at the same time, and you are blessed too. When praises are on your lips, your spirits are lifted high.  

I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. – Psalm 34:1


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World

Thank You for Being A Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!