Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Graduation Celebration

3 o'clock wake up call
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstance; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. – 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
  
This weekend, we are celebrating our youngest child’s 8th grade graduation. Thankfully, we made it through middle school for the third and final time.  We’ll be joining thousands of families around the country to rejoice in past achievements and new beginnings.

It’s easy to rejoice and give God thanks and praise when our child graduates at the top of the class, when a spouse gets a promotion, or a friend announces her engagement.  But how do we “rejoice always and give thanks in all circumstances” when we’re facing sorrowful situations, like when they drop out of school, we don’t get the job, or he breaks up for good?

This time last year, at least according to the calendar, I was supposed to be the mother buying the balloons and decorating the graduation cake.  But I wasn’t. From my son’s first day of school, I’d imagined him walking across the stage to receive his high school diploma, with teachers and students cheering, many in awe of his great achievements. When he just barely graduated from high school and refused to go to college, those dreams went up in smoke.

When disappointment dawns and dreams are dashed, we can still find joy in the arms of Jesus, who mourns with those who mourn.  In the months leading up to graduation, I cried out to God in sadness and despair, pleading “please just let him finish!”  I relied on God’s strength to see me through, day by day, because I was too weak to move forward on my own.  God never failed to come close to my broken heart.  His loving presence began to break through the disappointment, embarrassment, and pain.  And His light started to shine in areas I’d never imagined.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  I had prayed these words from Jeremiah 29:11 over my son since he was in the 6th grade and we were searching for the best middle school placement.  For seven years, this had been my prayer verse for him.  I never stopped believing God was able to keep his promise. 

One year later, I can clearly see God’s hand at work and recognize some of the good plans He has for my son’s life.  Though his path will probably never wind through a college campus, he recently graduated from a computer programing academy with a wealth of new knowledge and maturity.  

Through it all, I have learned truths about God that I might not have, had I dropped him off at college last fall. Truths like:

  • God can be trusted because He loves our loved ones even more than we do.
  • God can use our disappointments to draw us closer to Him than we’ve ever been before.
  • God can heal our hurts and equip us to help others.

So during this season of graduations and celebrations, let’s rejoice always and give God thanks and praise because His love never ends, His strength is always available, and His plans are good and full of hope.  


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!