Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Stinkin' Mess (a re-visit)


God’s love keeps no record of wrongs. 
– 1 Corinthians 13:5

Do you ever feel like the condition of your house mirrors that of your soul?  When the kitchen looks like a bomb went off and you can’t walk from one room to another without stepping over piles of dirty laundry, don’t you feel a mess inside?  If the bathroom looks and smells like a Porta Potty, do you just hold your nose and quickly escape?

I do, and I’m guessing I’m not alone.  

Recently, the concept of our surroundings reflecting our souls was taken to a whole new level for me.

I had taken our dog, Henry, for a quick jog on a bike path during my daughter’s soccer practice.  Because the local law says to “scoop the poop,” I stuffed a green plastic bag in my jacket pocket… just in case.

Sure enough, Henry went for it in plain sight of several other runners.  So, as a law abiding citizen, I stuck my hand in the bag and picked up the soft, steaming mess (one of the grossest feelings ever). With no trash bins nearby, I carried the bag with me.  When we came to the part of the path where dogs can run off leash, I unhooked Henry and draped the leash around my neck.  Off we ran.  Boy, did that poop bag stink.  I couldn’t wait to get rid of it.

Finally, we reached an official “poop drop” bin and I hastily made my deposit.  We ran on.  The stink followed us.  The bin had been overfilled and I had been blown back by its stench, but we should have run clear of it by now. The poop smell must have gotten caught in my nose.  The more I ran, though, the more it smelled.

When we got back to the soccer fields, I pulled the leash from around my neck to hook Henry back up and saw it…“OH CRAP!”  

Henry had dragged his leash through his poop while I had been preparing the scoop bag.  When I draped the leash around my neck, I’d essentially perfumed myself with poop!  I jumped up and down, disgusted.  I couldn’t believe the mess I’d gotten myself into.

At the soccer fields, there were no bathrooms, just Porta Potties without running water.  My car had only dry napkins, so with the little water left in my water bottle, I moistened one and scrubbed my neck like I was rubbing off… well yes … dog poop. 

I threw out the evidence and sat in the car waiting for my daughter’s practice to end.  Almost immediately after getting in the car, she said, “Mom, this car stinks like dog poop.”  Defenseless, I quietly replied “It’s not the car honey, it’s me.”

How often do we get ourselves in huge stinkin’ messes?  We can’t blame anyone else when we wake up with regret or remember the hurtful words we said.  How painful!

Aren’t you thankful that God’s love cleanses us completely?  His word says that He removes our messes, mistakes, our sins as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12).  That’s far!  Thank you God, we can’t smell ‘em from that far away.

Today, no matter what messes you wallow in, step over, or clean up, be grateful that God’s love keeps no record of wrongs and Jesus’ blood poured out for you, cleanses you of all your mess ups and sins (1 John 1:7).  That’s stinkin’ awesome!


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!