Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Head to Toe


Jesus said, “Come, follow me.” – Matthew 4:19

Have you ever heard someone say something so profound that you immediately searched for a pen and paper to write it down? 

Awhile back, I was listening to an Andy Stanley sermon while running with the dog. When Andy said the following, I had to stop right there and record it in the “notes” app on my phone.  

“Following Jesus makes my life better
and makes me better at life.” – Andy Stanley

It’s a simple sentence, but it’s packed with purpose.  Repeating it over and over, in time with my steps as I ran, it occurred to me that a lot of people might disagree with him.  

Many of us grew up thinking that if we followed Jesus, we’d have to lay down our fun and adventurous life and instead carry a cross of rules and boredom.  How does that make life better?

Others grew up afraid of God. We imagined God looking down on us from heaven and with some holy clipboard, keeping track of all our mistakes and mess ups on His “naughty list.” How does that make anyone better at life?

I couldn’t call Andy Stanley on my phone (and he’d probably just send me to voicemail anyways), so I clicked off the podcast and starting talking to God.  “Really?  Does following Jesus truly make someone’s life better and make someone better at life?”

That familiar, still small voice inside my soul turned my question around. “Do you believe following Jesus makes your life better and makes you better at life?”

Good question.  How would you answer it? 

I say YES, absolutely.  Following Jesus makes my life better from my head down to my toes.

  • Following Jesus, my mind is better.  All day long, I think about God’s truths and His ways. I can distinguish between the Enemy’s lies and God’s good plans.  I’m quick to give thanks and complain a lot less.
  • Following Jesus, my heart is better.  Bitterness, anger, resentment, and shame once thrived in my heart, Jesus has been replacing these with compassion, forgiveness, joy, and love.
  • Following Jesus, my hands are so much better.  The work I do has purpose. It’s eternal. I touch, teach, write, serve, comfort, encourage, and hug more than I ever would on my own. 
  • Following Jesus, my walk is better.  My feet go where Jesus went.  I visit the sick.  I feed the poor.  I stay within God’s boundaries, which keeps me safe.  As God leads me deeper into His will, I can more faithfully walk out into the unknown.  

From head to toe, following Jesus makes our lives better and makes us better at life.  Adventure awaits and the journey is filled with joy when you run the race God has marked out for you.  

Our races might look different but the leader is the same.  Will you follow Jesus and find your better life?


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!